Stretching down the ‘boot’ of Italy, Puglia boasts over 800 kilometres of idyllic sandy coastline and azure sea. In our ongoing quest to bring you the insider’s guide to our villa regions, we’ve compiled the ultimate list of places to go and things to see in Puglia. Enjoy.
Sightseeing in Puglia: Kicking things off with the top five places to visit in Puglia…
1. Castel del Monte, a UNESCO world heritage site and a unique piece of medieval architecture that is not to be missed for the culture vultures amongst you
2. Polignano a Mare, a sea-side gem perched on a 20-metre-high limestone cliff. The historic town dates back to the 4th Century BC and is a delight to explore on a sunny afternoon
3. Bari Vecchia and the Chatedral of San Niucola, a sight to behold and an enlightening day trip. The Cathedral is a pilgrimage destination, nestled in Bari Vecchia, a beautiful old town surrounded by modernity
4. Alberobello. Famously known for its trulli buildings of whitewashed stone and conical roofs. If you enjoy the beauty of traditional architecture, then this is the place for you
5. Lecce, a historic town in the region of Salento, known as the ‘heel’ of Italy. Recommended for its culture, scenery and history.
Best restaurants in Puglia: We’ve shortlisted our top five restaurants in Puglia so that you can experience the very best cuisine throughout the region…
1. Ristorante Grotta Palazzese (Polignano a Mare) This restaurant is seriously special – set in a cave overlooking the ocean. We’d recommend booking a table at sunset for a romantic occasion
2. Ristorante Cibus, (Ceglie Messapica) Award winning, family run restaurant, offering traditional dishes that use local ingredients, created with two decades of experience
3. Ristorante Santa Lucia (Bari) Another family run restaurant, known for its sensational sea-food and warm hospitality. Overlooking the sea, this spot stands out and makes our top five
4. Braceria La Tradizione (Sammichele di Bari) One for the meat eaters – this upmarket steakhouse is set in the ancient village of Sammichele – known for its meat. Expect a hearty meal here
5. La Locanda di Federico (Bari) This cosy, traditional restaurant has an exciting menu full of fresh, local ingredients. Set in a beautiful piazza, this is al fresco dining at its best.
Best experiences in Puglia: For those of you wanting to squeeze every last drop from your time in Puglia, take a look at our top five things to do…
1. Enjoy breakfast at "La Lanza", the old port of Bari where you can taste fresh seafood straight from the ocean, care of the local fishermen
2. Take a walk through historic and picturesque town Bari Vecchia. Make sure you try the Panzerotto – delicious calzone style pasty - heaven
3. Visit a vineyard and taste some Puglian wine. We suggest Catine Polvanera where they produce the most delicious, velvety Primitivo wine.
4. Take a scenic road trip from S.M. di Leuca to Otrano and swim at the "Grotta della Zinzulusa", a majestic sea cave teeming with marine life
5. Admire the sunset from the top of "Santuario di S.M. di Leuca", a historic temple with unparalleled sea views from the very tip of the ‘heel’ of Italy.
For any specific questions on Puglia and our villas in that region please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org